Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Shaolin Flavor


I am all about the elements, this balance of life can be brutal to maintain.  However today I woke with this soul in a being of zen on the highest level. This dish was in my dreams and it started with a candy my Pops has been addicted to. It's a chili mango piece.  It has great flavor for sure, naturally. It reminds me of my childhood nostalgically. I miss the keys everyday.
I began with the basis of my version of a Korean BBQ sauce, base fresh citrus lemon, limes, Teriyaki, some PBR, ketchup, and some diced chili mango candy.  I let it simmer in my sauce pot for a while. I began butterflying my chicken breasts, lightly seasoning with mixed peppercorns, sea salt,and extra virgin olive oil. I turned off the sauce, and fired up the grill on high heat, basted the chicken and began to grill. 
The bao's were traditionally steamed. For the condiments I went with some quick pickled red cabbage with rice vinegar, lime juice, sugar and ginger. I sliced the chicken after it rested for about 5 minutes and resauced it and began to layer the bao: pickled cabbage, sauteed greens, the chicken, a little sauce and some more pickled cabbage garnished with diced plums. Game over! The flavors were powerful, they worked over all 36 chambers.
This dish was meant to be banged with any album on blast in your headphones, out of the Wu Tang discography.  I mean, whats better in this world than some banging monk style beats and street food on a summer day, that's the balance God. The type i started my morning with and the journey proved to be true. Stay up. Try to maintain that level of chi and the world can't hurt you. 
The art always brings me back in when I get drifting into the abyss. The freedom to create reminds me that we are free from 93 till infinity, my sword will be sharp and I will continue to brandish the flyest dishes possible. From Baos filled with layers of flavor that hit you like addictive behavior, to the moon chilling in the craters Hennesy and a hot plate! Politicking the next move until then world, check mate, stay up, food is life, food is love!

No comments:

Post a Comment